Monday, October 21, 2013

 Lentil Soup



First Project: Using the carrots from my basket: Lentil Soup

  I have been making this lentil soup now for years, and have changed it up depending on what I have on hand.  Always carrots, sometimes parsnips if you have them.  I love the smokey taste and smell of cumin, but if you don't have it curry powder works as well.  I remember the original recipe called for spinach, but I have used Swiss Chard, Kale, you name it.  I would have used the beet and turnip greens from this weeks basket, but they were a bit past their prime. (compost I'm afraid)  I have some greens in the freezer from earlier in the season that will do just fine.  (not sure what they are, forgot to label the bag)  The tomatoes are some I canned and pulled from the pantry and here we go.

You will need:

  • 2 cups lentils
  • 6-7 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
  • 5-6 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • large pinch of salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons of cumin (to taste)
  • 1 28 ounce can of  crushed tomatoes (if you have whole tomatoes you can put them through the food processor or crush them with your fingers.)
  • 2-3 cups of spinach, or any green you have on hand
  • 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil


You will need to:


  1. Coat the bottom of a heavy pan with Olive Oil
  2. Saute the onion and carrots until the onions are soft (add a large pinch of salt)
  3. Add the cumin and stir
  4. When the cumin is incorporated add the lentils and broth
  5. Add tomatoes and stir together
  6. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 hours until carrots and lentils are soft adding the greens near the end


No comments:

Post a Comment